Thursday 8 February 2007

Getting old


It hit suddenly, this morning. Because it was snowing I drove to work. I always park my car in the Amsterdam Arena, the big Ajax Amsterdam football stadium. From there, it is a 5 minute walk to work underneath the Bijlmer train station.

Looking at all the people around me, I suddenly realized that almost everyone was younger than I. Maybe not so strange, as there is a University in that area, and more young people take public transport so they are over-represented in a train station. But still it hit hard: I am getting old and youth is around me, but also behind me. A weird feeling.

After exercising tonight, I also noticed in the shower that my grey chest hairs have a fertility rate that would make the Singapore government happy. Any defence seems to be futile.

Until very recently I still felt like 18 - or 20 - or 27 - whatever: I felt young. Not anymore, I am afraid.

No comments: