Tuesday 31 July 2007

Blood on the ceiling

Attention everybody. If someone ever needs DNA from me, go to my bedroom, look up and find two red spots and voila! Blood on the ceiling. This morning I slaughtered two mosquitos that were resting on my ceiling and yes, they had feasted on my blood during the night. For the last week or so they have done their best to disturb my nights and make it difficult to sleep. I didn't know that only female mosquitos suck blood which makes it even worse. "The female mosquitoes locate their next blood donor victims primarily through scent. They are extremely sensitive to the carbon dioxide in exhaled breath, as well as several substances found in sweat and various body odours. (cum anyone?) They are believed to be able to track potential prey for tens of meters. Some people attract more mosquitoes than others (I know...grrrr), apparently based on how they "smell" to a mosquito. Mosquitoes can also detect heat, so they can find warm-blooded mammals and birds very easily once they get close enough." Tonight I 1) will do a thorough pre-sleep inspection of my bedroom and kill as many enemies as possible; 2) am going to apply liberal doses of insect repellent and 3) will hide myself under the blanket as much as possible. (fortunately it is only 8C at night) How come men can fly to the moon but have not yet invented a working anti-mosquito system? To me this is proof that evolution has not been completed yet.

1 comment:

.: aGent X ::.. said...

Well said - I have this phobia of opening all my windows in summer, because of those blood-suckers!