Monday 18 August 2008

Chen Yibing - worth watching the Olympics

So far, I haven't watched much of the Olympics. I was away last weekend, and I was quite busy last week so I didn't have a lot of time to watch the events. The Beijing summaries in the news here highlight the successes of the Dutch athletes (so far a bit disappointing at only 3 gold, 5 silver and 4 bronze medals). Tonight, however, I had time to watch some of today's events and one guy was worth watching: Chinese gymnast Chen Yibing who won the gold medal on the rings. His routine was flawless. And it definitely helps that he is a pleasant guy to look at.
In the mean time, the expected photo finish between China and the USA in terms of the medal score doesn't seem to materialize. China is far ahead and will most likely show the world that, at least in sports and helped by the "home advantage", it is ready to be the next world superpower.

No comments: